This 65-page paperback book was published in 2009 by the Horai Association.
The book depicts works on the Goeden scrolls.
Example: This work was originally a scroll containing a biography of Shinran by the third chief abbot of Honganji, Kakunyo (1270-1351), along with illustrations painted by Joga Hogen in the tenth month of the third year of Einin (1295). Kakunyo was motivated to produce this in commemoration of the 33rd memorial year of Shinran's death, which fell in 1294. The original scroll was destroyed by fire in 1336 during the civil war between the southern and northern dynasties, but two scrolls copied soon after Kakunyo produced the original have come down to us: one is preserved at Nishi Honganji (dated 12th day of the 10th month in the 3rd year of Einin and entitled "Zenshin Shonin E," "Illustrations of Zenshin Shonin") and the other preserved at Senjuji in Takada (dated 13th day of 12th month in the 3rd year of Einin and entitled "Zenshin Shonin Shinran Denne," "Illustrated Biography of Shinran, Zenshin Shonin"). It seems most likely that the earlier scrolls were copied and spread among the followers. Kakunyo continued to revise the work, and at the age of 74, produced a new version in the second year of Koei (1342); this time he included illustrations painted by Joga's son, Enbu, and his disciple, Soshun. This scroll, called the Koei text, is now preserved at Higashi Honganji. It is presumed that in the original version there were thirteen chapters, but in the Koei version, which became the standard text for later versions, there are fifteen chapters.
At an earlier date, the biographical portion and the illustrations were compiled separately. The former is called "Godensho" and the illustrations, called "Goeden," were reproduced as hanging scrolls. It was Kakunyo's son, Zonkaku (1290-1373), who is presumed to have made the hanging scroll of illustrations for the first time. Two sets of three hanging scrolls, as well as the single scroll, are also known to exist today. The standard type, however, is a set of four scrolls. In 1663, Nishi Honganji made a set of eight scrolls in order to exhibit them in the Goei-do (the hall housing Shinran's statue) during Hoonko. After the 15th century, the "Goeden" became widespread, exerting a great influence on the spiritual life of Shinshu members. This pervasive influence was attributed to the policy of Rennyo, the eighth chief abbot (1415-1499); he established the rule of granting duplicates of the "Goeden" in four hanging scrolls to Shinshu temples.
During the annual Hoonko services held for a few days before Shinran's memorial day (i.e., January 16 or November 28), priests of all temples recite the "Godensho" and the scrolls are exhibited for general view in the inner sanctuary of the temple.
The "Godensho" describes main features of Shinran's life in fifteen chapters, and the "Goeden," in popular editions, are grouped into twenty sections. The pictures of the "Goeden," granted to Hontokuji in Himeji City in 1504 by the ninth chief abbot Jitsunyo (1458-1525), have been offered to this website, for which the editor wishes to thank Rev. Prof. Akihito Otani.